Dr. Beth Kern is currently the associate dean of undergraduate programs and professor of accounting at the Judd Leighton School of Business and Economics. Prior to joining the Leighton School, Dr. Kern taught at the University of Notre Dame, Indiana University, and the University of Virginia.
She has served as the co-editor of Advances in Accounting Education as well as on the editorial review boards of the Journal of the American Taxation Association and Advances in Taxation. Dr. Kern has served as president, vice president, vice president of finance and trustee of the American Taxation Association, as well as on the AICPA’s Education Executive Committee. She was also the associate director of FACET, Indiana University’s teaching excellence academy, and the director of the Mack Center, Indiana University’s center which promotes the scholarship of teaching and learning.
Dr. Kern’s research has been published in The Accounting Review, Journal of the American Taxation Association, Journal of Accounting Education, Issues in Accounting Education and the Journal of Accountancy.
Her teaching interests include:
- Financial reporting
Her research interests include:
- Scholarship of teaching and learning
Teaching Awards include:
- Frederic Bachman Lieber Memorial Award, Indiana University’s oldest teaching award
- Indiana CPA Society Outstanding Educator Award
- FACET (Faculty Academy for Excellence in Teaching)
- Trustees’ Teaching Awards, IU South Bend
Distinguished Service Awards include:
- American Taxation Association Distinguished Service Award