Dr. Gary Kern is an associate professor of decision sciences at the Judd Leighton School of Business and Economics and assistant director of UCET at IU South Bend. Prior to joining the Leighton School faculty, he taught at the University of Virginia, Indiana University Bloomington, Indiana State University, the University of Notre Dame, and Shanghai Institute of Mechanical Engineering.
Dr. Kern is an active member of the Decision Sciences Institute (DSI). He served previously as president of the Midwest DSI. He has published articles on group technology and cellular manufacturing, demand management, scheduling, computer-assisted instruction, and management information systems. Dr. Kern was founding co-editor and technical editor for theJournal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
He enjoys using diverse teaching methods (flipping, hybrid, online) to teach the following subjects:
- Operations Management
- Software mastery
- Business Data Analytics
His research interests include:
- Diverse teaching methods
- Scheduling systems
- Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET), 1997
- Trustees Teaching Awards, 2001, 2015
- Beta Gamma Sigma “Teacher of the Year” Award, 2015
- University Center for Excellence in Teaching (UCET) Teaching Fellow, 2015
- Indiana University South Bend Distinguished Teaching Award, 2014
- President’s Award for Distinguished Teaching, 2016