When is the best time to complete an internship?
- If the internship requires very specific technical knowledge, junior or senior year is the best time to apply
- For other less technical fields, sophomore year may be ideal, and you’ll have time to complete one or two internships before graduation
Are internships required to graduate?
- Leighton School of Business Human Resources Management majors are required to complete an internship. These internships must follow specific guidelines, and require faculty/department approval.
- HR Management Internship Policy
- Contact Mike Esposito at email@example.com to learn more about the requirements necessary to gain credit for the internship.
How many hours per week are required for a typical internship?
- Students working an internship for academic credit must work at least 150 clock hours during the semester in which they are enrolled. Scheduling of those hours (which days they work and for how long each day) are up to the student and the employer.
- Working more than 150 clock hours in a semester does not earn a student extra credit.
- There are no minimum clock hour requirements for internships which are not for academic credit. Non-credit internships do not have to be approved by the Leighton School of Business. However, for university record keeping purposes, students should report that they are in an internship (with which employer and what is their position) and when they start a non-academic internship to Career Planning via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are internships paid?
- Many internships are paid, especially in larger for-profit and non-profit organizations. In smaller organizations and not-for-profit businesses, students may find paid internships harder to secure. Engage IU South Bend Internship Program provides a stipend for unpaid internships to qualified students. Contact Dr. Gail McGuire at email@example.com or 574.520.4572 to learn more.