When is the best time to complete an internship?
- If the internship requires very specific technical knowledge, junior or senior year is the best time to apply
- For other less technical fields, sophomore year may be ideal, and you’ll have time to complete one or two internships before graduation
Are internships required to graduate?
- Leighton School Human Resources Management majors are required to complete an internship. These internships must follow specific guidelines, and require faculty/department approval.
- HR Management Internship Policy
- Contact Deanna Shively at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the requirements necessary to gain credit for the internship.
How many hours per week are required for a typical internship?
- Internships completed for credit during the academic year, require a commitment of 10 hours a week for three credit hours
- Summer internships are more likely to be full-time (30-40 hours per week).
Are internships paid?
- Many internships are paid, especially in larger for-profit and non-profit organizations. In smaller organizations and not-for-profit businesses, students may find paid internships harder to secure. Engage IU South Bend Internship Program provides a stipend for unpaid internships to qualified students. Contact Dr. Gail McGuire at email@example.com or 574.520.4572 to learn more.